Disney dinosaurs

Reading all the howls of outrage over the Disney Movie and WWD brought
two things to mind. First, I always thought it would have been clever
in Jurassic Park if they had come up with "unknown" dinosaurs. Surely
the species represented by fossils are only a small subset of what
actually existed. Thus if it was possible to recreate dinosaurs via DNA
from blood cells in amber-trapped mosquitoes (and it won't ever be
possible), we would EXPECT to see species we don't know as fossils.
In other words, a scientific assessment of what would be sampled
by such a cloning process would allow a bit more artistic license than
they actually employ! Don't know about the lips though!

Second, getting upset about the story getting in the way of facts (e.g.
reconstruction detail) is pretty silly. That's pretty much all
Hollywood does these days. U-571 is based on a true story, but a true
story about BRITISH submariners (not the good 'ol boys in the movie).
The movie on Colditz that's in planning will star Americans, yet no
American ever escaped or attempted to escape from there.

Kendall

Kendall Clements
k.clements@auckland.ac.nz