Re: Dinosaur Genera List corrections #141

In a message dated 5/10/00 3:24:33 PM EST, twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com writes:

<< Yes, but the competition is pretty tough.  There's also _Succinodon_,
 thought by Huene to be a sauropod jaw, making it the first described Polish
 sauropod.  As it turned out, it was just the filled borings made by a
 mollusc (genus _Kuphus_) that looked like a series of sauropod teeth.

 Another alleged dinosaur, _Macrodontophion_, based on a pointed tooth which
 (I've heard) may not be a tooth at all but the fossilized shell of some
 mollusc.

 And _Hadrosaurus tripos_ is a whale! >>

The point here is that Ponerosteus is most likely based on a dinosaur fossil,
whereas those others (including Aachenosaurus) are now known not to be: The
worst >dinosaur< specimen to be used as a type specimen. Sorry I wasn't quite
clear on that. By the way, where did you hear about Macrodontophion being a
mollusc lately?