RE: Dinosaur Genera List corrections #141

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Mickey Rowe
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2000 2:55 PM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Cc: crpntr@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Dinosaur Genera List corrections #141

> Now that Mesozoic Meanderings #3 is out, I can add a dinosaur genus
> of my own to the Dinosaur Genera List, as genus #885:

which reminds me of a message from the dinosaur list archives:

http://www.cmnh.org/fun/dinosaur-archive/1995Feb/0093.html

In that message, Ken Carpenter wrote of George's attempts to revise
nomenclature via his writings for the Japanese magazine Kyoryugaku
Saizensen:

>> Olshevsky does violate several recommendations [of the then-current
>> ICZN -- MPR ], however.

>> Recommendation 7A. "Authors have a responsibility to ensure that
>> new scientific names,... and information likely to affect
>> nomenclature are made widely known. This responsibility is most
>> easily discharged by publication in appropriate scientific journals
>> or well-known monographic series."

I'll leave the question of whether or not Mesozoic Meanderings is
"widely known" as an exercise for the reader.

Gee, that would wipe out a lot of Chinese dinosaurs. I've just got a paper
that appeared in a Koren volume from a friend. So, would this mean all the
new bird taxa that Hou described in his book is now bunk because it is
poorly distributed?
Tracy