Re: Dinosaur Genera List corrections #141

Jerry D. Harris wrote:

>>though I personally think that new
taxa _should_ be published (and should be _required_ to be published) in
more widespread journals.  This is _not_ to discourage people to publish new
names, but more to encourage smaller journals, if they want to receive the
kind of noteworthiness and attention that comes from the publication of new
taxa, to find avenues to wider distribution!<<

I doubt that the ICZN was actually concerned with encouraging smaller
journals to become bigger (or at least more widely distributed). This
guideline exists to try to keep those papers describing new taxa from
appearing in obscure, poorly distributed, and non-peer-reviewed publications.
And so I think there is a sense in which it exists to help discourage the
*frivolous* proposal of new taxa.

Caitlin R. Kiernan