Re: Dinosaur Genera List corrections #141

In a message dated 5/11/00 11:16:42 AM EST, twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com
writes:

<< I believe it was in Glut's _Dinosaur Encyclopedia_.  I have heard it
before
 though. >>

Looked it up and sure enough, there's the independent opinion of two workers
(Molnar and Sues) that Macrodontophion is not based on a theropod tooth but
on something nondinosaurian, perhaps a mollusk shell. There's also a figure
of the tooth taken from Zborzewski's 1834 paper and boy, it sure doesn't look
like a theropod tooth from that figure. I like the idea of it being a shell,
but only a first-hand look at the specimen will determine this with
certainty. I'd be inclined to remove the genus from Dinosauria. Let me sleep
on it a bit.