Re: How did dromaeosaurs use their arms?

On Thu, 11 May 2000 08:26:51 Luis Rey wrote:

>Maybe the answer is Alan Gishlick's paper on the hand of Deinonychus (very
>useful for those interested in its proper articulation) and in Steve
>Gatesy's paper presented at the Florida Symposium: he argued for the
>possibility of evolution of a stroke that was not the predatorial but a
>>climbing< stroke. He was obviously backing Sankar Chatterjee and was
>backed at the same time by the newly discovered tiny arboreal maniraptoran
>theropod with 'lemur' third finger.

I think Luis' recollection implies much more confidence than anything I
intended to say at the symposium.  I certainly didn't mean to "argue" for
climbing being the behavioral predecessor to the flight stroke.  I did
raise some challange to the predatory stroke idea and note that Sankar's
climbing hypothesis has contains some of the features required.  However, I
don't think any of the competing alternatives are completely elaborated or
analyzed enough to evaluate at this point- climbing included.  The main
thrust of my talk was not to favor any one hypothesis, but to ask how we go
about studying the evolution of flapping.  Simply proposing a scenario is
not enough.

Steve Gatesy

Stephen M. Gatesy
Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology