RE: WWD question

Here is a case of things getting changed in translation from English to
American.

In the BBC version, the region is not explicitly Georgia, simply "the
southern part of North America".  However, the ornithopod was explicitly
_Iguanodon_: either a southern population of _I. lakotaensis_ (hence its
sympatry with _Polacanthus_, recast as _Gastonia_ in the U.S. version do to
changes in North Am. ankylosaur taxonomy) or a hypothetical species
intermediate in range between _I. lakotaensis_ and the European species.

The idea was to show the variation in color and shape and size in species
that had arise due to isolation of the two populations of _Iguanodon_: the
sort of things that interest neontologists but which are much less
accessible to us bone-diggers.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742