Carcharodontosaurid Teeth

NJPharris@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/14/00 9:59:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> mickey_mortimer@email.msn.com writes:
>
> > Other
> >  carcharodontosaurids such as Giganotosaurus carolini (Calenderos Member of
> >  Rio Limay Formation, Argentina) and unnamed forms (Huincul Member of the
> Rio
> >  Limay Formation, Argentina; Rio Colorado Formation, Argentina) are also
> >  known from South America, though I am unaware of the presence of tooth
> >  wrinkles in these species.
>
> _Giganotosaurus_ shows wrinkles across the entire face of the tooth, as in
> _Carcharodontosaurus_ (Chure et al., 1999, 293); in the Brazilian specimen,
> the wrinkles are limited to the distal edge--the same is true of an isolated
> tooth from Chubut (reported in Vickers-Rich et al., 1999).
>
> Nick Pharris

            This is NOT in any way aimed at Dan Chure or the Riches or really at
the information presented above; just remember to be careful with this enamel
wrinkling thing in your own examinations...these "wrinkles" look very much like
the crown surface expression of internal growth rings of a number of taxa.  It
can fool you in quick looks at a crown because the pattern can closely resemble
"wrinkles."

-Josh

--
Josh Smith