RE: How did dromaeosaurs use their arms?

NJPharris@aol.com writes:

>I would think that anything that would increase and refine the animal's
>control during turning, leaping, or braking maneuvers would be an
advantage.

Yes but.....

We're talking millions of years of already successful evolution here, and
(forgiving my lack of chronological knwoledge), if we accept that
super-mobile arms are not necessary to become a successful predator (a la T.
rex et al) why is it now necessary to suddenly have appendages on arms to
become one?

cheers, martin