FW: Monument to Gideon Mantell

forwarded fron the vertpaleo list with permission.  You should direct
any questions to Andy Ottaway.
-Betty
----------

Dear friends,

I am writing to ask all dinosaur enthusiasts for their support with a
project to erect a monument to commemorate Gideon Mantell and his world
famous dinosaur discoveries at Whiteman's Green, Cuckfield, West Sussex.

The site, one mile north from the centre of Cuckfield village, West
Sussex, consists of public playing fields with a large car park. The
view toward Cuckfield village is depicted in several editions of
Mantell's books confirming this as the location of the Iguanodon fossils
he first described in 1822.

The monument will be constructed from local sandstone. The plinth will
bear an engraved plaque revealing the quarry scene as it was at the
time. The plaque will include a portrait of Gideon and Mary Ann Mantell
and an inscription about the discovery of the dinosaur Iguanodon.  A
display panel will depict the wealden landscape, complete with Iguanodon
(donated by artist John Sibbick), and expand upon the importance of
Mantell and his discoveries to geological science.

I estimate the cost of the monument and the accompanying display will be
around #5000.  We have already reached over half that total. Any
contributions, great or small, will be gratefully acknowledged with a
special 'Mantell Memorial' certificate and donors will be invited to a
special unveiling ceremony, hopefully on June 24th, during Cuckfield's
Millennium week.  Dr Angela Milner of the Natural History Museum has
kindly agreed to give a talk on the day.

The Mantell Monument project has already received financial support from
the Geologists' Association, Mid Sussex Council, Cuckfield Parish
Council, Cuckfield Museum Trust and Millennium Committee. Local people
are also fundraising toward the monument.

I hope you will want to support this project to commemorate a man whose
historic discoveries have contributed so much to our understanding of
dinosaurs today.

For further information, please contact Andy Ottaway on 01323-811688 or
outside the UK on: +44-1323-811688 or email campaign-whale@clara.net

Thank you
Andy Ottaway

Flying Goat Graphics