How did dromaeosaurs use their arms?

On May 16.2000 Martin wrote:

>We're talking millions of years of already successful evolution here, and
(forgiving my lack of chronological knowledge), if we accept that
super-mobile arms are not necessary to become a successful predator (a la T.
rex et al. why is it now necessary to suddenly have appendages on arms to
become one?<

Pardon my lack of chronological knowledge, also.
One would think that, considering the structures of the Tyrannosaur jaw and
skull, and their olfactory senses, they functioned fine without much of an
arm.  A smaller carnivore/scavanger, with a less specialized jaw, would need
possibly more mobility.
A little help from feathered arms may be just what they needed to gain an
advantage.
        Angella