Re: How did dromaeosaurs use their arms?

Angella 711 wrote:

<Pardon my lack of chronological knowledge, also. One
would think that, considering the structures of the
Tyrannosaur jaw and skull, and their olfactory senses,
they functioned fine without much of an arm. A smaller
carnivore/scavanger, with a less specialized jaw,
would need possibly more mobility. A little help from
feathered arms may be just what they needed to gain an
advantage.>

  The question here is "how?"

  Do _feathers_ or similar functional equippage on the
arms facilitate a non-flyer, and if so, in what way?
Is the prescence of feathers even an indicator of
flight in ancestry? Or is it an indication of
arboreality in ancestry? And how? While phylogenetic
taxonomy [cladistics] may serve to suggest _some_
answers to these questions, some assumptions must be
taken with the hard data to arrive at a conclusion.
Physics, osteology, and functional morphology may
grant us answers in some ways, but the conclusion
always requires an assumption.

=====
Jaime "James" A. Headden

Qilong---is temporarily out of service.