Re: A New State Dinosaur?

Ed and group,
Yes, I was also recently informed of this, and unfortunately, haven't had the
chance to make the changes to my state fossil list.

The info you posted is basically all I know about it: it is an allosaurid, and
it is native to present-day Oklahoma.  I do know that the Sam Noble Museum is
working on some of the remains.  Anyway, here is a e-mail that Sandy Dengler
sent me regarding the find:

>News update for you from the Sooner State:
>
>The Oklahoma legislature just passed a bill, unanimously, I hear. to make
>Saurophaganax our state fossil. Also unanimously, not a one of the
>legislators could pronounce it. But they all thought it was great idea.
>
>Anyway, FYI Oklahoma now has one.
>
>Of more lasting importance, the new Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural
>History just opened its doors to the public. Two years ago, Oklahoma's
>treasures--fossils, Indian and other historical artifacts, the extensive
>George M Sutton bird collection, and an array of other collections were
>housed in six different sites around campus, some of them not even fireproof,
>let alone tornado proof. They are now in a repository as safe as engineers
>can make it.
>
>Housing the collections is of primary importance; the splendid visitor
>facility is lagniappe. But marvelous lagniappe! Ken Carpenter's museum is
>exquisite but ours will rank right up there with it.
>
>Blessings
>Sandy Dengler

Steve