dinosaurs in the media yesterday

Hi, everybody,

Just a few quick comments about dinosaurs in the media yesterday.

First off, sorry about the message I sent yesterday: CNN did not run a big
dinosaur segment during the 4 pm hour yesterday, CNN International did.  Of
course, I didn't find this out until I was wired for sound and in front of
the camera...  It was in three parts: a profile of Sue and of Susan
Hendrickson; a short bit with me talking about the scientific significance
of Sue; and a segment on dinosaurs in pop culture (which I missed).

Aside one: a warning for fellow (or rising) paleontologists: working with
live TV news media is a lot different than working with a documentary crew.
It isn't "hurry up and wait"; it is "hurry up and hurry some more".  Prepare
to be rushed around from chair to chair and room to room.

Aside two: the make-up guy had a room full of 8x10 glossies of movie stars
and news reporters and the like, but while he was talking to me he showed me
one of his favorite possessions: a _Carcharodon megalodon_ tooth about 10 cm
tall he found on his home property in southern Maryland!  We had a nice
discussion about paleontology and recent discoveries and such.  Very
enheartening to be reminded that there is a LOT of interest in the science
of paleontology out there!!

Secondly, the documentary "When Dinosaurs Ruled - China" which aired last
night on The Learning Channel was new.  For those who didn't catch it, it
included some great pictures of _Archaeoceratops_ and field photos of the
juvenile _T. bataar_ that Phil Currie is working on.

For those who did catch the episode, rest assured that Currie and I are both
aware that dromaeosaurids do not have arctometatarsi!!  The narrator states
as much, and due to the insistence of the director that we use the name
"raptor" (I let slip "raptorial dinosaur" at one point) for "coelurosaur",
it leads to more than a bit of confusion.  Also, rest assured that Phil
Currie was not injured by the attack of computer generated _Velociraptors_.
:-)

(I regret that my comment on _Gasosaurus_ being one of the most average of
all theropods did not make the final cut...).

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite