WRINKLED ENAMEL

One of the diagnostic features of carcharodontosaurids is 'wrinkled
enamel' on the tooth surfaces. Nick Pharris cited teeth of
_Giganotosaurus_, _Carcharodontosaurus_ and an indeterminate
taxon from Chubut that exhibit this.

Some cranial material from the Wessex Formation (Wealden) has teeth
which look, at first sight, as if they have wrinkled enamel. Further
examination has shown that this is artefactual - the wrinkles are
microcracks on the tooth surface, sometimes accentuated by silt. The
presence of wrinkled tooth surfaces thus requires very close
examination. We are publishing on the Wealden stuff. Because we are
now thinking that _Neovenator_ is a carcharodontosaurid, and because
its teeth lack wrinkled enamel, this character is not true for all member
of the group.

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH