Fwd: Monument to Gideon Mantell

I have not seen this posted on the DML yet (forgive me if I missed it) and
thought y'all should know about it.

Tom

Thomas R. Lipka
Paleontological/Geological Studies
Tompaleo@aol.com

>  ----------
>
>  Dear friends,
>
>  I am writing to ask all dinosaur enthusiasts for their support with a
>  project to erect a monument to commemorate Gideon Mantell and his
>  world famous dinosaur discoveries at Whiteman's Green, Cuckfield,
>  West Sussex.
>
>  The site, one mile north from the centre of Cuckfield village, West
>  Sussex, consists of public playing fields with a large car park. The
>  view toward Cuckfield village is depicted in several editions of
>  Mantell's books confirming this as the location of the Iguanodon
>  fossils he first described in 1822.
>
>  The monument will be constructed from local sandstone. The plinth
>  will bear an engraved plaque revealing the quarry scene as it was at
>  the time. The plaque will include a portrait of Gideon and Mary Ann
>  Mantell and an inscription about the discovery of the dinosaur
>  Iguanodon.  A display panel will depict the wealden landscape,
>  complete with Iguanodon (donated by artist John Sibbick), and expand
>  upon the importance of Mantell and his discoveries to geological
>  science.
>
>  I estimate the cost of the monument and the accompanying display will
>  be around £5000.  We have already reached over half that total. Any
>  contributions, great or small, will be gratefully acknowledged with a
>  special 'Mantell Memorial' certificate and donors will be invited to
>  a special unveiling ceremony, hopefully on June 24th, during
>  Cuckfield's Millennium week.  Dr Angela Milner of the Natural History
>  Museum has kindly agreed to give a talk on the day.
>
>  The Mantell Monument project has already received financial support
>  from the Geologists' Association, Mid Sussex Council, Cuckfield
>  Parish Council, Cuckfield Museum Trust and Millennium Committee.
>  Local people are also fundraising toward the monument.
>
>  I hope you will want to support this project to commemorate a man
>  whose historic discoveries have contributed so much to our
>  understanding of dinosaurs today.
>
>  For further information, please contact Andy Ottaway on 01323-811688
>  or outside the UK on: +44-1323-811688 or email
>  campaign-whale@clara.net
>
>  Thank you
>
>  Andy Ottaway
>
>  --

--- Begin Message ---
Title: Monument to Gideon Mantell
Andy Ottaway asked me to post this to the list.

Norm MacLeod

----------

[...]

Dr. Norman MacLeod
Associate Keeper
Department of Palaeontology, The Natural History Museum,
Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD

Office Phone: 0207-942-5295
Dept. FAX: 0207-942-5546
E-mail: N.MacLeod@nhm.ac.uk

Web Page: http://www.nhm.ac.uk/palaeontology/micro/nm/nm.html

A Selection of Web Pages for Current Projects:
PaleoNet (East): http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted_sites/paleonet/
PaleoNet (West): http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/Paleonet/
Palaeontologia Electronica: http://www-odp.tamu.edu/paleo/
PaleoBase: http://www.nhm.ac.uk/palaeontology/paleobase/