Re: Sharovipteryx

-----Original Message-----
From: dbensen <dbensen@gotnet.net>
To: larryf@capital.net <larryf@capital.net>
Cc: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Monday, May 22, 2000 12:28 AM
Subject: Sharovipteryx

>In the course of my studies, I have come across Sharovipteryx and am a
little at
>a loss as to what the little creature did when it was alive.  We're all
pretty
>certain now that it wasn't a glider.  It has long hind legs, but wouldn't
those
>big membranes get in the way of running?  It might climb trees, but how
with
>those tiny arms?  If anyone could bring illumination, I would appreciate
it.

Sharovipteryx certainly seems an enigma to me! Large membranes on the legs
only...yet Dave Peters has it closer to pterosaurs than even Cosesaurus. At
first glance it appears to be an ideal candidate for a secondarily
flightless form with those degenerate arms,...but why the membrane between
the legs????? How about some speculation?...8^)....perhaps it ran across the
surface of ponds much in the manner of the Basilisk, nabbing insect prey
with it`s jaws and it`s long mobile neck??? Could those leg membranes have
given it sufficient lift to skim the water`s surface?