Re: Mammals preying on giant azhdarchid pterosaurs!

On Sun, 21 May 2000, Brian M McCarthy wrote:
> Both physically and behaviorally I can see survival strategies at work.

I'm not arguing this.

> >>Those new animals were sudden additions; if they had evolved on the
> islands, the prey would have evolved behaviors to get away from their
> predators.<
>
> Pollyanna might agree.  But the fossil record is filled with creatures which
> could not evolve strategies to counter certain predator strategies.  They
> are extinct.<
>
> Not mechanistic, indeed.  You're right, purposeful innovation is essential
> for animals to survive.  Aren't you agreeing with the point you're
> attempting to counter?

I'm certainly not arguing that organisms don't evolve strategies for
survival!  I'm only saying that not all strategies have a place in all
ecologies.  Specifically, I'm claiming that the strategy of obligatory
nest defense is no longer viable (given modern predators), except in the
semi-aquatic niche (crocs).