Re: Mammals preying on giant azhdarchid pterosaurs!

At 08:32 PM 21/05/00 -0400, John Bois wrote:

On Sun, 21 May 2000, Timothy Williams wrote:

> Rats eat croc eggs, so it's reasonable to assume that Mesozoic mammals did
> too.  Why then did crocs survive the Mesozoic?

For the same reason they survive today.  I believe this is due to their
aquatic habit.  Firstly, wetlands are a refugium from mammals.  Second,
crocs probably enjoy habitat-specific advantages over animals not
specialized for this niche.  It is possible that predators of croc eggs
stand a better chance of being eaten themselves than predators of
terrestrial nests.

id giant m
However, terrestrial or semi-terrestrial crocodiles, though now extinct, survived well past the end of the Cretaceous (eg Quinkana from Australia). So did giant monitor lizards, continental giant tortoises such as Collosochelys from India, and the meiolaniid horned tortoises.

--
Ronald I. Orenstein Phone: (905) 820-7886
1825 Shady Creek Court