Re: Mammals preying on giant azhdarchid pterosaurs!

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Ronald Orenstein wrote:

> However, terrestrial or semi-terrestrial crocodiles, though now extinct,
> survived well past the end of the Cretaceous (eg Quinkana from
> Australia).

A well-respected hypothesis--that Australia is and has been relatively
depauperate in large carnivorous mammals (Tim Flannery)--may keep my
hypothesis alive here.

>  So did giant monitor lizards, continental giant tortoises such
> as Collosochelys from India, and the meiolaniid horned tortoises.

If these rare exceptions exist against a backdrop of almost complete
absence everywhere else, I would enjoy a close look to see why/how they
were able to get away with this strategy.  Too bad they are long gone.