Re: Oklahoma state fossil...

On Mon, 22 May 2000 13:19:09   Dinosaur Interplanetary Gazette wrote:
>Here's the straight dope.
>
><Summary Of House Floor Activity April 13-19>
>> [Gov] Keating also signed Senate Bill 1185, which proclaims
>> Saurophaganax
>> Maximus to be the State Fossil of Oklahoma.  The measure states,
>> "This
>> spectacular dinosaur, the greatest king of reptile eaters, once
>> roamed this
>> great land, is only known from Oklahoma and has surpassed the
>> Tyrannosaurus
>> Rex, the king of the dinosaurs, as the greatest predator of earth's
>> history."

Oh really, S. maximus has surpassed T. rex as "the king of the dinosaurs."???

Does anybody know the size of this thing?  I know its an allosaur, and going
from that fact I would say that it would likely be smaller than T. rex.  Or, by
king of the dinosaurs do they mean size or are they trying to measure
fierceness again??

Steve