Re: Oklahoma state fossil...

In a message dated 5/22/2000 2:37:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dinoland@mailcity.com writes:

> Does anybody know the size of this thing?  I know its an allosaur, and
going
> from that fact I would say that it would likely be smaller than T. rex.

_Giganotosaurus_ and _Carcharodontosaurus_ are both allosauroids, and known
fossils indicate that they could reach the size of _Tyrannosaurus_ or bigger.
 _Saurophaganax_ is, IIRC, only known from a portion of a single vertebra,
which indicates it was bigger than typical _Allosaurus_; I would have to say
that too little is known to say whether the entire animal would have been
larger than the largest known _T. rex_.

Nick P.