Re: Mammals preying on giant azhdarchid pterosaurs!

At 11:28 AM 5/21/00 -0700, Betty Cunningham wrote:
This instect eater was not eating eggs or ganging up to eat eggs, at
least.  What mammals from Mongolia or China are you referring to?  Dr
Luo suggests all early mammals that we've found are insectivourous.

All of the early ones, certainly. But by the Latest Cretaceous things *were* beginning to change. Some of the largest marsupials and the largest placentals were getting beyond the size of insectivores, and so must have been at least somewhat broader in diet. And of course the multituberculates were granivores or omnivores.

Still, none of these seem to me to have been likely threats to dinosaurs, even as egg predators. (Though I suspect that the "possums", at least, may have eaten eggs at times).