Re: Pterosaur progeny? (was Re: Mammals preying on giantazhdarchid pterosaurs!

Bats have larger-than-maruspial-sized young and frequently have twins.
The young hang on the mother until large enough to be left with a
babysitter. (no, I'm not making this up*)

I don't see live-births discouraging bats.

Marsupials have even smaller young than bats do.  Why not the
possibility of something in that size range?   Some snakes and lizards
can have live-births and usually in large numbers.  Perhaps a mass of
wriggly pterosaur juveniles rather than the more mammalian condition of
singletons?  Hatchling lizards (once their claws harden) certainly can
cling as well as any juvenile bat can.

Why not pterosaurs?

-Betty Cunningham

* in microbats the 'babysitter' is usualy a younger female relative or
group of younger female relatives who may be left to watch possibly
THOUSANDS of pups in the nursery colony as the mothers go off to feed.
These younger unbred females will retrieve pups that fall to the floor
and return them to the nursery (if the pup isn't eaten while on the
floor by waiting predators or if it isn't killed by the fall)

wierd side trivia: Morgan Venable of the California Bat Conservation
fund has two rescued male bats OF DIFFERENT SPECIES who have adopted
each other. The small myotis male hides on the person of the larger
brown bat male, clinging under the armpit (where juveniles cling to
their mothers).  I don't know if these two are flight-cabable as
mother-and-pup bats are.  I believe they were found that way when they
were recovered.

--
Flying Goat Graphics
http://www.flyinggoat.com