Re: R: Ceratosaurus paper

In a message dated 5/23/00 1:24:15 PM EST, amaris@tin.it writes:

<< If I'm right and from what I have in my computer, Megalosaurus ingens is a
 synonym of ?Ceratosaurus ingens which is a [nomen dubium] infact in the list
 of the African Dinosaurs compiled by George Olshevsky is listed as follows:

 Ceratosaurus Marsh, 1884
 ?C. ingens (Janensch, 1920) Paul, 1988 [nomen dubium]
       = Megalosaurus ingens Janensch, 1920 [nomen dubium] >>

The species was >originally< named Megalosaurus ingens by Janensch in 1920,
then was placed into the genus Ceratosaurus by Greg Paul in Predatory
Dinosaurs of the World (1988). This is the meaning of the parenthesized
author's name following C. ingens above, and why M. ingens immediately
follows the C. ingens. The question mark indicates that the species is
doubtfully referred to the genus Ceratosaurus, and the [nomen dubium]
indicates that the type material is generally considered inadequate for
defining a species. This, incidentally, is corroborated by Madsen & Welles in
their 2000 paper (just out) on Ceratosaurus. The type tooth seems to belong
to a very large ceratosaurian theropod from Tendaguru in Africa, probably a
new genus that cannot yet be defined except by size.

The two new species of Ceratosaurus in the Madsen & Welles paper will be
listed in the second printing of MM #3, about which I'll have a more general
note later today. Happily, the disposition of the various minor species of
Ceratosaurus and Labrosaurus in Madsen & Welles is almost exactly the same as
in MM #3. C. magnicornis might be the same thing as Pickering's "C.
willisobrienorum"; the latter can't be C. dentisulcatus, because that species
is listed separately by Pickering.

Interestingly, there is a species called "Labrosaurus huene" mentioned in the
Madsen & Welles paper that I hadn't seen before. It is supposed to appear on
p 481 of Huene's big book Paleontology and Phylogeny of the Lower Tetrapods
(in German), apparently based on an undescribed tooth from Szechuan, China.
When I was a kid, this book was available in the Buffalo Public Library and I
read and reread it many times, but now that I want to get hold of a copy,
it's nowhere to be found. I last saw it at the Tyrrell library in Drumheller,
and regret not having photocopied the whole thing when I was there. If anyone
can look it up and make sure of the spelling of the name, I'd like to hear
from you.