Re: Sharovipteryx

-----Original Message-----
From: david unwin <h0662eka@rz.hu-berlin.de>
To: dinolist dinolist <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Tuesday, May 23, 2000 7:15 AM
Subject: Re: Sharovipteryx

>Forthcoming presentations:
>
>Unwin, D. M. Sharovipteryx: what can it tell us about the origin of
pterosaurs? 48th Symposium of Vertebrate Palaeontology and Comparative
Anatomy, Portsmouth, England, Monday 28 Aug. - Sunday 3 September.
(http://www.soft.net.uk/richardforrest/svpca2000/svpca2000.page.intro.html)

>Unwin, D. M. Sharovipteryx and its significance for the origin of the
pterosaur flight apparatus. 5th European Workshop on Vertebrate
Palaeontology, 27.6.2000 - 1.7.2000, Staatliches Museum für Naturkunde
Karlsruhe (SMNK) Erbprinzenstr. 13 D-76133 Karlsruhe Germany
(http://www.alettra.de/ewvp5/index.htm)

>Some of the queries regarding Sharovipteryx raised in recent mailings to
the list are >dealt with in the papers published and in press, and will be
covered in the two >presentations.

I confess that I`m unaware of your position on the relationships between the
prolacertiform group and pterosaurs, but I gather from the above titles that
you do suggest a relationship.  I am also aware of your position suggesting
that pterosaurs were quadrupedal (correct me if I`m wrong). You probably
don`t want to give away too much proceeding the August conference, but I
must ask the question...Sharovipteryx seems rather obviously to be bipedal,
( as seen depicted at Dave Peter`s website:
http://home.stlnet.com/~azero/Sharovipteryx.html ), what else could it be
with those short arms?. And,...if they are at all related, dosen`t this
suggest that early pterosaurs (at least) may have also been bipeds???