Longisquama.

We have to thank John Ruben's presentation of Longisquama at last year's
SVP  for the best, most detailed photographs ever shown of the specimen. We
have to thank also that (at least for me) it clarified that those things on
the back of Longisquama could not possibly be feathers or anything remotely
similar to feathers. There was a very clear ridge all around enclosing the
basic shape (hollow, exactly like the central 'quill') at times broken in
the slab impression, so we could see it was clearly hollow. The 'branching'
of the central vane were just imprinted lines but not real branching...
they were only superficially looking as branching.

They looked like the impressions of an insect wing (or as Peter put it:
fern fronds).

As George says: we need much better, more complete specimens to make any
sense of it.

Luis Rey

Visit my website on http://www.ndirect.co.uk