Re: Origins (was: Re: Sharovipteryx)

In a message dated 5/25/2000 2:04:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Dinogeorge@aol.com writes:

> all they did was firm up the idea that
>  stegosaur plates >might< have had a thermoregulatory function as one of
the
>  things that they did for stegosaurs. We still don't know whether stegosaur
>  plates >actually< had a thermoregulatory function, only that they might
>  have--and we surely knew >that< before their work.

But Farlow et al. did show that it *could* work, and that was something we
did not know for certain before.  They threw out the argument that a
thermoregulatory function was impossible, and thus contributed to the growth
of knowledge on the subject.

Nick P.