RE: JVP, SVP...too many 'VP's...

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Caleb
>
> Gang,
>

>    Could you tell me about this Journal of Vertebrate
> Paleontology, and how to
> subscribe. Thx.

The Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology is the premier technical journal in
the field.  It is published quarterly, has really nice glossy pages, and
runs around 200 pages an issue.  It is, however, a technical journal: this
is where we (the professional we) publish our stuff with no need to "dumb
dow...", er..., popularize (ah, that's better!) the text.  I would STRONGLY
recommend that you see if you can find a copy (or a couple of xeroxed
articles, or something) before committing to a subscription.  In each issue
there will be papers on fish, maybe some amphibians, non-dinosaurian
reptiles, dinosaurs, and mammals.  In recent volumes, the last two
categories have generally dominated the total number of pages (before the
mid-1990s, mammals clearly were the main subject).  Don't expect to know all
the terms in every  article: even professionals will have to look up
definitions for terms outside their field (damn fish heads, too many bones!
:-).

However, should you want to subscribe, there is only one way to do that:
become a member of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology.  Check out the
SVP website for information:
to JVP is $45 for current students, $80 for everyone else.

Now, when we talk on the list about "this year's SVP", or "the 1991 SVP", or
whatever, we are referring to the annual meeting of the Society.  These are
held in the fall (normally October or November), and rotate around North
America as for location (this year Mexico City, next year Bozeman, Montana).
SVP meetings normally have 3 full days of fifteen minute talks, poster
sessions, and other events (awards banquet, auction, book sales, etc.), as
well as "pre-meeting" symposia and field trips to interesting
paleontological sites in the area.  The SVP meetings are where a lot of good
contacts are made, papers planned and presented, cool new specimens shown
around, etc.

Hope this helps.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist