Re: Origins (was: Re: Sharovipteryx)

In a message dated 5/26/00 8:24:12 AM EST, Chapman.Ralph@NMNH.SI.EDU writes:

<< Well here we go.... >>

Ah--at last a debate with some meat in it. This is one of those times where
one paragraph in an email requires a six-paragraph reply, and each paragraph
in the reply in turn requires a six-paragraph reply, and so on. So I will
have to break up my response into several separate emails over the next few
days as time permits. But first:

<<As such, George,  your opinions on paleobiology cannot be distinguished, at
least in scientific rigor, with those of creationists. According to George we
only think we know what we know, we don't truly have the ability to do
anything other than blowing smoke, telling stories. Sounds like faith to me
George, and that's religion. Nothing wrong at all with religion but that's
not what we are doing here. Yes, we have researchers who go about things with
religious zeal and, at times, procedures, but paleontology is a science, yes
an historical science so the procedures are tougher to follow, but still a
real science. But we do it and, at times, it comes out
spectacularly well.>>

You must surely recognize that science >is< a religion, that what you have
written about is your FAITH that scientific inquiry will yield the truest
picture of the world that can be gotten. You BELIEVE, and quite fervently,
from the research that you and others have done, that dinosaurs behaved in a
certain fashion and that dinosaurs are related to one another in a certain
way. Furthermore, unlike the orthodox religions and creationism, you can
provide an enormous body of >empirical< evidence to support your faith and
beliefs. But one thing you >cannot< provide is the observations of the
dinosaurs themselves that would confirm your faith. Now, I agree that
scientific inquiry is the only way to go with respect to figuring out how the
world worked and works. In this respect, we are both members of the same
faith. And this, in fact, distinguishes my own beliefs and my hypotheses from
those of creationists, so you are incredibly wrong and unnecessarily
derogatory when you lump me in with them in an attempt to score a couple of
debating points. But I would like people to be aware that at the core of
every thundering paleontological pronunciamento about dinosaur behavior and
evolution (as opposed to descriptive anatomy and nomenclature), supported by
100x100 character matrices, lies a Just So Story. And that there's nothing
wrong or unscientific with that.

<<That you are not at all interested in horseshoe crabs is a bit sad since
horseshoe crabs are about as neat as things get. However, it is irrelevant in
that you should be interested in any paper that demonstrates the scientific
method so well - or at least one of a variety of approaches to doing it well.
That you seem pretty uninterested tells me volumes about how you approach
this field and it is, as I said, really sad.>>

There are an infinite number of things to be interested in in this world, but
I have only a finite amount of gray matter, space, and time. So I must prune
my interests to include the things that really matter to me, and to eschew
the things that are of lesser interest. Perhaps unfortunately, horseshoe
crabs are among the things that I've pruned away. I have, nevertheless,
plenty of things that interest me still, so, Ralph, there's no need for you
to be sad, or to be patronizing. I am glad that you, or at least somebody, is
interested enough in horseshoe crabs to publish something worthwhile about
them for me to read someday, perhaps. De gustibus non est disputandum. And as
for being interested in papers "that demonstrate the scientific method so
well," I >expect< papers written by professional paleontologists to be
shining exemplars of the scientific method, and when some are not, my
disappointment runs deep. I cannot be interested in a paper >just because< it
is a good paper; I'm interested in a paper because it covers a topic that I'm
interested in.

<<Ornithischians were herbivores. We have massive morphological evidence for
this and long studies on various aspects of their morphology that nail this
down. You can set up specific predictions about their morphology that you can
then progress and test with the morphology they exhibit from the fossils.
These can include various aspects on the relationship between tooth
morphology and food processing, the biomechanics of chewing, etc. Huge data.
It comes out massively as confirming the tests that ornithischians ate
plants. A type 3 inference but nailed.>>

As a practicing professional scientist, Ralph, you should know that NOTHING
is >nailed< in science. Nailed means 100% true, not falsifiable, and
therefore no longer science. Science >requires< at least a vestige of doubt
in every conjecture and every hypothesis, even in so elementary and seemingly
obvious an observation as that ornithischian dinosaurs were herbivores.
Otherwise we will find better things to do than repeatedly check hypothesis
that we know are >nailed<.

More to come...