Re: The duck that ruled the world.

In a message dated 5/26/2000 7:32:06 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com writes:

> Moas and kiwis are Dinornithiformes.  Moas (_Dinornis_, _Euryapteryx_,
>  _Emeus_, _Pachyornis_, _Megalapteryx_, _Anomalopteryx_) belong to two
>  families, Dinornithidae and Emeidae, within the Dinornithiformes.  Kiwis
>  (_Apteryx_), which are still with us, belong to a third family,
Apterygidae.

Actually, I seem to remember reading a few years ago about a molecular study
that placed moas closer to emus and cassowaries, with kiwis the next outgroup
to these.    Anyone else out there remember more clearly about this?

Nick P.