Re: The duck that ruled the world

It is a shame that they (moas, dromornids) are extinct. I suppose little mammals ate all the eggs.

Emu, kiwis, ostrichs watch out -   they might get hungry again!!!!

;-)

You seem to be getting your dromornithids (mihirungs) mixed up with your
emeids and dinornithids (moas). The traditional accepted grouping of the
kiwis and moas as ratites has never been seriously questioned. Additionally
it has long been noted that, even when they were considered as ratites, the
dromornithids did not seem to be closely related to any other birds within
that group including moas. Sibley,Ahlquist and Monroe.Jr's DNA
hybridization studies put the kiwis firmly within the ratites (within the
same suborder as the emu and cassowaries).

Cheerio
Brian