Re: Sue on ABC

Yeah, I have to agree totally.

The reporter (whoever she was, I can't remember her name) made the bold
statement in the beginning that she "uncovered new and shocking information
into the discovery of Sue that you have not heard before."  I don't know about
most of you, but it has seemed like I have heard all of those stories thousands
of times during the past WEEK.

And, what really makes me mad are all of these interviews with Hendrickson and
Larson, but nothing with Brochu.  For instance, Larson, during his interview,
said that Sue had a broken leg and either died from it or other rexes brought
her food.  For those of you who have been seriously following Sue, you likely
know that Sue's leg was not broken and she (if 'she' is a 'she') likely died of
old age.  Of course, 20/20 never countered Larson's statement, which is likely
very incorrect.

Nothing against him personally, but it gets me very upset to keep hearing him
tell all of these news agencies (not only ABC or 20/20) these pieces of
information on Sue that are incorrect, or have been countered by Brochu or the
Field team.  Okay, maybe Dr. Brochu isn't correct in each one of his 'claims,'
but at least offer a counter.

Well, a much better dinosaur show was on at 10 AM this morning (central).  Jane
Pauley hosted a Time and Again special on MSNBC concentrating on dinosaur
discoveries and public fascination with dinosaurs.  It included news clips from
NBC Nightly News with Tom Brokaw, the Today Show, and other NBC programs.

Steve

On Fri, 26 May 2000 17:15:38   MKIRKALDY wrote:
>The eagerly anticipated but uncertain show time of Sue
>on ABC was settled last night when both Sues got the 15
>minute treatment on ABC's program 20/20.  For anyone
>who had watched the coverage of the _T. rex_ Sue's
>debut at the Field last week, the 20/20 feature
>contained no new information--more interviews with Sue
>Hendrickson and Pete Larson, videos of the dig site,
>the FBI raid, the auction, the fossil, and a plug for
>the new book.  No science.
>
>Two things that have bothered me during the past week's
>coverage are the concentration on the human aspect of
>the story and the anthropomorphizing of Sue the _T.
>rex_.  Folklore and legend come to mind in the
>retelling of the find, and it just keeps getting better
>and better.  The program's title of 20/20 also
>describes the genius of hindsight in recalling events.
>
>I was fully expecting to hear that Sue the _T. rex_ was
>singing a siren song from out of the cliffs in her
>selective call to be found.  While I do not deny that
>association with a fossil as complete as is this
>specimen has the power to affect the human mind, we
>also have the tendency to project our feelings and
>needs back onto the discoveries.  Was this _T. rex_
>communicating across the ages?  It was once alive, but
>so was the _Acrocanthosaurus_ in Raleigh, and it
>doesn't seem to be tapping out messages.  If a _T. rex_
>wanted to channel through anyone, it would probably
>have already contacted Tom Holtz, who has said that as
>a child he thought he could actually grow up to BE a dinosaur.
>
>So, I hope that the attention now shifts to the
>_Tyrannosaurus rex_ that lived 67 million years ago.  I
>doubt that it had its own symphonic piece to hum while
>hunting the living or the dead.  With less emphasis on
>the finding and more on the find come the really
>interesting and valuable aspects of the life of this
>dinosaur, who never met a human--it liked or didn't
>like.
>
>Mary
>mkirkaldy@aol.com

---