Origins

Judy Lundquist wrote:

"To Ralph and others on the list:  Could you give references for the
papers mentioned above, and any  others that you think especially
exemplify the scientific method?  I am working toward a second career
as a science writer, and I'm interested in having a deep understanding
of these issues, as well as seeing examples of writing that are "a real
joy to read".  (I think horseshoe crabs are pretty cool, too!)"

Three papers that I think are of a very high quality and exemplify the
scientific method in the sphere of palaeontology are:

Gatesy, S.M. (1990)  Caudofemoral musculature and the evolution of
theropod locomotion.  Paleobiology 16: 170-186

Budd, G.E. (1998) Arthropod body plan evolution in the Cambrian, with
an example from anomalocaridid muscle. Lethaia 31: 197-210

Prum, R.O. (1999) Development and evolutionary origin of feathers.  J.
Exp. Zool. (Mol. Dev. Evol.) 285: 291-306

I support Ralph's comments. I think anyone who questions his wise
posting should read the above papers (or at least one of them) and try
and figure out for themselves how the approach therein differs from
speculation.

Kendall

Kendall Clements
k.clements@auckland.ac.nz