Re: Origins (was: Re: Sharovipteryx)

At 11:32 PM 5/27/00 -0700, Mickey Rowe wrote:
at least two visual pigments.  Read my paper if you want details, but
phylogenetic reconstructions of the visual pigment gene histories
strongly indicate that those three animals derived from a common
ancestor that had four pigments.  ...

Hmm, this sounds a bit like a paper I read a while back. It had a phylogenetic tree of the various visual pigments in various vertebrate groups - including mammals. Was that your paper?

[One interesting bit in the one I read was that mammals had *lost* two of the "original" four pigments, and primates had independently (re)evolved a third pigment].