Re: retractable claw.

Caleb asked:

   "Out of curiosity, I've always heard how the claw on dromeaosauids was
retractable. So, I was wondering, is there any paleoartist rendering of a
before-after of one of these claws retracting? I would very much like to see
it."

    The nicest illustration of this that I can recall is in the August 1978
(Vol. 154, No. 2) of National Geographic, page 161.  (Copy probably
available at many second-hand book stores.)

    The illustration accompanies a very pioneering National Geographic
article by John H. Ostrom, Ph.D., then Curator of Vertebrate Paleontology,
Peabody Museum of Natural History, Yale University, entitled, "Startling
Finds Prompt...A NEW LOOK AT DINOSAURS" -- and the rest is history.

    In case there is any consusion here, the "retracting claw" refers to
movement of the 'business end'  of Deinonychus's  phalanx II into the LIFTED
position.

    For what it's worth,  Ray Stanford