Re: Sue Photos Online (Good ones!)

From: chris brochu <cbrochu@fmnh.org>

As far as I can tell, there is exactly one tyrannosaurid
known from the Hell Creek Formation - Tyrannosaurus rex Osborn 1905.  That
Sue's snout was a little narrower than in the AMNH specimen means only that
- its snout is a little narrower.

Here-here. My thoughts as I looked over the mount for the first time were that this was an exemplary specimen of _Tyrannosaurus rex_ and in looking at it there was never any doubt that it was such.

Intra- and interspecific variation happen to be my bag. I would second what Chris has written above and add that you *should* expect more intraspecific variation within the skeletons of physically larger species. Very small species are diagnosable by skull morphometrics and metatarsal lengths, but larger specimens show increased variation in more and more specific osteological traits. At _Tyrannosaurus_ scale, you can imagine quite a wide range of variation (see Carpenter's _Tyrannosaurus_ chap. in _Dinosaur Systematics_ as well as the chapter therein on _Triceratops_).

VERY nice _T. rex_ specimen and very nice mount.

Jack