Re: Sundry responses of Bois

At 12:48 AM 5/29/00 -0400, KiernanCR@aol.com wrote:

>>If someone discovered big terrestrial egg layers and mammals (particularly
placentals) living in harmony--without having to hide, I would run away
forever. <<

I'm uncertain as to why marsupials make poorer egg-eaters than placentals,

Expecially given the reputation of the living opossum as an egg-stealer! Based on reputation the biggest egg-stealers in the USA are opossums and *snakes* - and the latter is probably the worse "threat".

but . . . what about the phorusrhacids and diatrymatids? They coexisted with
far larger mammals than those that tyrannosaurs and ceratopsians would have
had to contend with. And while I'm sure these large birds probably did have
eggs eaten by mammals (and reptiles, for that matter) - almost all birds do -

Snakes are a big culprit here. Why not suggest snakes as the cause of dinosaur extinction :-) They were relatively recently evolved at the time?