Impressions - Dinosaurs on screen

Some days ago I bought a copy of Newsweek dated May 15 titled "Dinosaur!". It
was a report about the new Disney movie. The cover showed a picture of the
Iguanodon Aladar with some lemurs on his back.

I did hear about the movie before but somehow I felt disappointed. These
modern up to date computer graphics are very impressive. This is some kind of
computer generated "Land before Time" looking very real. Mind you, I'm no
purist saying "You shall not humanize dinosaurs by creating talking dinosaurs
on screen!".

But I was somehow reminded of the days of yore :-) when in 1993 Jurassic Park
hit the screens. It was a story about recreated Dinosaurs in a modern world.
They were shown as animals, animals capable of adaption to their new
environment. There was no pretense for hundred percent correctness (just
remember the frog DNA).

But it created quite an enormous public discussion about how Dinosaurs lived
and behaved. In the wake of the movie suddenly many books were available here
in Germany either as translation or as original edition. So I were able to
get e.g. Dinosaur Heresies, in german translated Dinosaurus! by David Norman
and A new look at the Dinosaurs by Alan Charig.

Time Magazine had a story (April 26, 1993) titled "Rewriting the Book on
Dinosaurs" discussing the newest discoveries on dinosaurs with a small add on
report titled "Behind the Magic of Jurassic Park". With the story in Newsweek
it's rather the other way - a big story about the movie and it's making, a
shorter story discussing new discoveries. Perhaps that's the "modern" way -
first show business, then science.

In November 1999 Walking with Dinosaurs was broadcasted in Germany. It was
titled "Im Reich der Giganten", which means "In the Kingdom of Giants"
(stupid translation)! WWD is a very interesting and impressive documentary
but I think that's the problem. It showed once and for all how dinosaurs and
other mesozoic animals lived and looked like. To rephrase Bruce Hornsby
""That's the way it was". I remember my seven year old son saying "But they
showed it that way!" Some kind of comment explaining what was proven and what
was a well founded speculation was missing.

So for originality of story and starting a wide public discussion about
dinosaurs it's kudos to Jurassic Park. But of course this is only my personal
point of view regarding JP, WWD and Dinosaur!. And I haven't even seen this
new movie myself.

Cheers

Heinz Peter Bredow
Bremen, Germany