RE: Sue Photos Online (Good ones!)

>Which is why it is questionable practice to mount real bones in the first
>place.  In the nineteenth century they didn't know any better, but these
>days it is an odd thing to do.
>
>Why was this done with Sue?

Because, overall, people want to see the real thing.  I also had misgivings
at first about mounting the real bones, but the group that mounted it was
able to construct a framework that required no damage to any of the bones,
and we are able to remove any one of them for research purposes.  The skull
is mounted on  a wheeled base that can be pulled out of its case if
necessary.  That was one of our non-negotiable conditions at the beginning
- no bones were to be modified for the mount.  I am satisfied that we've
come as close as possible to fulfilling the dual (and sometimes
conflicting) goals of making Sue a research specimen and an exhibit.

Another reason, which I learned the hard way while working on Il Monstro -
for some larger fossils, it is easier to study the material if mounted than
if not.  Try lifting a large tyrannosaur femur to see the other side, and
you'll see what I mean.  (The first part of Sue I ever saw was the left
ilium.  A big croc left ilium fits in your hand.  Sue's filled a table.
The scale was a bit different from what I'd grown accustomed to.)  This is
not true for all elements, but as I said above, the bones are removable for
up-close examination.

I've seen newly-exhibited cast mounts.  They're great, but after a while,
people lose interest.  I'm reminded of the line Gilliam has in _Holy
Grail_:  "It's only a model."

chris

Christopher A. Brochu
Department of Geology