Re: JVP, SVP...too many 'VP's...

On Mon, 29 May 2000, Jenny Lando wrote:

> "The
> unfortunate capitalistic 3-ring circuses like "Sue" and "Banbiraptor" are
> extremely rare, and hopefully will stay that way."  - Phillip Bigelow
>
> Okay, one of the list lurkers speaks up.
>
> Without denying that specimens should remain "accessible" to scientific
> study (via Padian)  we should not just sit on the list and lambaste
> educational facilities like FMNH and the Graves Museum.

Lest I be further misunderstood by my (somewhat out of context) quote, let
me make my point clearer:  My statement was in no way directed at such
fine institutions as the Field Museum or the Graves Museum. They should be
commended for saving scientifically important speciems for the public and
scientific good.

My criticism was directed at the way the specimens had to be acquired.
Both the Field and the Graves Museum had no choice but to play the game
the way the rules were set up to play the game.  Hence, my
not-so-tongue-in-cheek negative comment about it being a "3-ring circus".

The "Sue" Grand Opening was a wonderful event.  Same with Bambiraptor's
debute at the Graves.  *Those* kinds of 3-ring circuses I have no problem
with!

            <pb>

--
"When I was a kid, I knew I wanted to be somebody when I grew up.  I
guess I should have been more specific." Anon