Re: Sundry responses of Bois

Thomas Holtz wrote:

>>I don;t have a problem with "2"; however, Reptilia is very much monophyletic
as long as you put Aves in Reptilia (as is done by many workers today).<<

But what about Mammalia? If we exclude them from Reptilia, doesn't that
render the class paraphyletic, since mammals did evolve from reptilian
ancestors? I agree that Reptilia is monophyletic, if Mammalia and Aves are
included (and that's what I should have said in the first place, instead of
stating that Reptilia, in the older sense of the order, was paraphyletic --
which is why I originally qualified "reptiles" with quotation marks).

Caitlin R. Kiernan