RE: Sue Photos Online (Good ones!)

Congratulations on the mount. It's an enormous effort. The results look so
different to other T. rexes in certain aspects that I can understand the
people that thought that this might not be a T.rex but a new tyrannosaurid.
But I understand even more the differences due to the distortion problem...
it would make it almost impossible to do a proper casting and mounting, and
the crushing of the skull (as I see it) is vast, much worst than the AMNH
famous side slanted-distorted one... is there a technique (computer
program) that could generate a more accurate >image< of how the bones would
have looked in life?
It might not be possible to do it in a resin cast, but it might be possible
to do it as a virtual image. Stan could be a good point of comparison.

>>Well - the preps did the reconstruction, but under my advice.  And I stand
>>by that reconstruction.  There was no way to make the snout any deeper.
>>The real skull is on exhibit on the second floor if y'all want to do some
>>comparing.
>>
>>Actually I think it's the back of the skull that needs to be deeper. Compare
>>the AMNH with 'Sue', the back end should be deeper, higher, whatever you
>>like to call it.
>
>It may have been deeper in life, but there's only so much you can do with a
>fossil or cast without adding to the restoration.  The quadrates were
>splayed quite a bit in the actual skull, and it would have taken
>considerable breakage to fix all of it.
>
>This is also why the ribs aren't swept all the way back, as an earlier
>commentator observed.  This was not an oversight on our part - the rib
>heads and vertebral transverse processes are all distorted.  Had we
>articulated the ribs perfectly, the trunk would have been twisted to the
>left.  The ribs are disarticulated on the mount, but this was the only way
>to make the trunk look like a trunk.
>
>Remember, when mounting real bones, one has to deal with postmortem
>distortion.  We wanted to minimize restoration on the bones - restoration
>covers up what's actually there, and we wanted to keep the bones as
>pristine as possible for future researchers.
>

>>Tracy
>>PS. Why aren't you in any of the National Geographic photos?
>
>The article focuses on the mounting.  My job was the description - I
>interacted with the mounters, but the real stars of the show were Phil
>Fraley and his group of artists, along with the preparation team here at
>the museum.
>

>chris
>
>----------------------
>Christopher A. Brochu