Re: THE NEW DINOSAURS (and other books)

In a message dated 11/17/00 5:45:40 PM EST, dinoland@lycos.com writes:

<< I don't know exactly what started the "Renaissance," as I wasn't even
alive back then (although I thought it was Bakker's Discover article).  I
would say that the original edition of Stout's book was a major catalyst,
though. >>

We can pretty confidently date the beginning of the Dinosaur Renaissance to
Ostrom's initial 1969 paper on Deinonychus, which was followed shortly by his
Deinonychus monograph. Bakker's sketch of the running Deinonychus as the
frontispiece of the latter could be the single most influential dinosaur life
restoration ever published. (Too bad he declined to put feathers on it,
though.)