Re: THE NEW DINOSAURS (and other books)

In a message dated 11/17/00 11:12:02 PM EST, Danvarner@aol.com writes:

<< I've been to the AMNH to see the "Fighting Dinosaurs" three times and I'm
 really amazed at the similarity between the pose of the "fighting"
 Velociraptor and Knight's Ornitholestes. >>

The pose of Knight's Ornitholestes actually comes (if I recall correctly)
from an article by H F Osborn on Tyrannosaurus, Ornitholestes, and
Ornithomimus, wherein Ornitholestes is compared with a bipedally running
lizard. There's an illustration of the lizard and a running theropod in it.
The running theropod was conceived of as an extension of the concept of a
bipedally running lizard. This is quite different from the possibly
warm-blooded, birdlike, active Deinonychus of Ostrom, which was a genuine
paradigm shift from the dinosaur-as-reptile concept that dominated
paleontology during the first half of the 20th century (particularly after
Heilmann wrecked the dinosaur-bird connection in 1927).