BBC2 Horizon and South American Dinos

Hi

I've just joined the list and whilst being no expert on dinosaurs I
cannot help but comment on last nights UK program about
Argentinosaurus and Giganotosaurus. Mainly I wasn't convinced by
the sceptics who thought that Giganotosaurus couldnot have
shown 'pack hunting' characteristics in order to kill their quarry.
Surely its a characteristic that when faced with the dilemma of how
to successfully hunt an animal much larger than yourself some sort
of 'rudementary' and i stress that form of cooperative hunting
behaviour would evolve (re: hyena example).  My immediate doubts
as to the strength of the sceptics arguement was that the first
example used was the finding of tracks of large herbivorous
dinosaur tracks which show tight herding - no surprise there!!!
Safety in numbers and grouiping together to protect weaker
individuals . After all a parallel can be drawn between this and
buffalo herds which move as one body changing direction together.
But it can hardly be extended as an arguement for non-packing
activities in carnivores as this behaviour is not displayed with
carnivores moving as individuals - e.g. hyenas again!!
All I can say is there is a distinction between packs and herds -
the latter being more herbivorous behaviour.

By the way who noticed that the length of Argentinosaurus was
compared to a herd of elephants - how big a herd?!?!
Jocelyn - University of Manchester.