RE: Vestigial horse toes - Follow-up.

I've finally dug up some source material, and I'm embarrassed to admit that
I've implicated the wrong European emperor - Julius Caesar had a polydactyl
horse. NOT Napoleon!

As I indicated before, the source I was referring to was "Hen's Teeth and
Horse's Toes" by Stephen Jay Gould (In the essay of the same name).

He quotes Suetonius: "[Caesar] used to ride a remarkable horse, which had
feet that were almost human, the hoofs being cleft like toes.  It was born
in his own stables, and as the soothsayers declared that it showed its owner
would be lord of the world, he reared it with great care, and was the first
to mount it; it would allow no other rider."

Adding a tiny bit of dinosaur info to this post about horses (and hens),
there is a paper referred to in Gould's essay:
        Marsh, O. C. 1892 "Recent polydactyle horses."
        American Journal of Science 43:339-55.

Yes, that O. C. Marsh.  Gould's essay includes a figure from Marsh's paper
of the "horned horse from Texas".  This shows a horse with 3 toes on the
rear legs (digits II, III, and IV), and 2 toes on the front legs (digit II,
and III). [Note: 'Normal' horse has only digit (toe) III].  The horse is
very similar (in form of its toes at least) to its ancestor, _Mesohippus_.
This drawing is the basis for my slightly mistaken memory, although my
description of the size and position of the vestigial toes was essentially
correct.

According to Marsh, and a later German study (not listed in the
bibliography); in two-thirds of these horses, the extra toe was a duplicated
digit III, but in the other third, the extra toes were fully developed
versions of the normally vestigial splints of digits II and IV (or only II).
In other words, this third were showing atavisms.

Gould also talks about some work done to cause hen's teeth to grow, as well
as some related topics.  Even though the publication is 16 years old, it
still has some valuable insights and information.

Allan Edels