Re: AMARGASAURUS SATTLERI (pretty long)

I think I'm approaching my message quota for the day, so this had probably
better be it for now.

Dinogeorge@aol.com writes:

> So what you're saying is that the boundaries recognized between taxa are
the
>  result of gaps in the fossil record and/or fortuitous survival into the
>  modern era rather than anything inherent in the organisms (such as
>  morphology, genome, etc.).

I'm not sure what you're asking.  Of course, morphology, genome, etc., are
different in different taxa.  But if you were confronted with every
individual organism that ever lived, morphology and genome would appear to be
pretty much continuously variable, without any convenient breaking points
between taxa.

So, yes, in that sense, it is the gaps in the fossil record and fortuitous
survival (and probably, in a few cases, fortuitous sampling of living
populations) that allow us to draw boundaries between taxa.

Am I being at all clear here?

Nick P.