RE: Trilophosaurs

The most recent work-up I have is Jalil (1997) who puts them in their usual
spot next to the rhynchosaurs at the base of the Archosauromorpha.  My
understanding is that there is less weirdness here than meets the eye.  The
basic design theme is that Trilophosaurus has consolidated the skull and
re-enforced it to withstand the stresses of really massive jaw adductors.
The sides of the skull are made almost vertical and (if I recall) the lower
fenestra is closed.  This automatically broadens the upper temporal
fenestra for the adductors and leaves only a sagital crest at the center of
the skull which, naturally enough, becomes more arched and prominent to
support its role as the main beam of the skull table.

A certain evil scientist, who will remain nameless, has been sitting on a
complete series of CAT scans of the skull for five years without publishing
them except as an SVP abstract.  Personally, I've had no luck trying to
reach him by email.  The only other detailed publications on the beast are
single-copy, do-not-circulate state secrets at the University of Texas.  As
a result, particularly with the unpublished CAT scans sitting out there, it
will be many, many years before anyone takes a serious look at
trilophosaurus again.

  --Toby White

Vertebrate Notes at
http://home.houston.rr.com/vnotes/index.html