From: "Jaime A. Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
CC: ELurio@aol.com
Subject: Re: New mammalian clade names
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 15:40:54 -0700 (PDT)

Eric Lurio wrote:

<Why not just "insectivora?" If it contains MOST of
most of the traditional "Insectivora" then why not jut
let it keep the tradtional name?>

  Because Insectivora includes tenrecs, which are
being excluded, as well as a group of other forms, and
presently may be considered polyphyletic in consisting
of a series of forms, some of which (eg.,
macroscelids) are considered closer to archontans
(including bats and primates), or afrotheres (this
would be called Uranotheria). I also am not aware of a
phylogenetic definition for Insectivora, but the group
my be historically a polyphyletic assemblage. The only
apparent insectivores still considered in that same
"region" of the phylogeny would be talpids (moles) and
the like, as well as shrews.

  Insectivora could be considered a polyphyletic taxon
that represents a grade, not a natural unity
(primitive eutherians).

=====
Jaime "James" A. Headden